- In Texas, metal recycling provides about 11,600 jobs and has an economic impact of more than $9 billion.
- Our industry in Texas produces 3.2 million tons of recycled steel a year, sustaining another 37,000 jobs.
- We support tougher penalties for metal thieves and we supported a law passed in 2011 (SB 694) that requires metal recycling businesses to register with the Texas Department of Public Safety.
- RCOT promotes responsible recycling that reduces landfill waste, protects our environment and strengthens communities.
Metal Recycling Facts
- The U.S recycling industry supports nearly 460,000 American jobs and generates more than $90 billion in economic activity.
- Recycling generates $348 million in tax revenues per year.
- More than 45 percent of U.S. copper comes from recycled scrap, produced using 87 percent less energy.
- More than 55 percent of raw steel produced in the U.S. comes from recycling.
- U.S. recycled metals are exported to 108 countries, reducing America’s dependency on foreign resources.
Get more facts and information about the metal recycling industry from the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, including our economic impact and environmental impact.